___________________________________________________

This is a blog about my obsessions, whatever they may be.

January 23, 2010

1.

I’m stuck at a…difficulty.

I hesitate to call it a wall, as I can go around it. Climb over it, and come back to it later, at least in principle.

2.

In principle because if I was thinking about plot, then yeah, I can come back later.

I know what happens in this chapter, and, until maybe a scene or two ago, the balance I had in mind was carefully maintained.

Then I lost it. Probably together with what was left of my brains on Tuesday after two exams back to back.

That symmetry amuses me as much as the symmetry I see inside my work every where.

3.

Structure, on the other hand, is different from plot.

It is the hidden cogs of the machine, a lot more complicated to fix than grammar or story.

The former can be learned, and the latter has since become, if not simpler, then clearer to me.

But you can’t fix what you can’t see. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment